But why is the conference website so utterly awful in its design?
I’m not talking about its SEO performance (which I haven’t checked), but its actual appearance. Some of the worst elements:
- The floating width front page with its wide centre column makes for very long, hard to read, lines of text.
- The vertical navigation is blue text on a grey background – but you weren’t interested in reading it, were you?
- The sponsors’ logos are piled on top of each other with no room to breathe.
- Even on my spacious 1400 pixel-wide screen I get a horizontal scrollbar.
- Bizarrely, the bottom 80 per cent of the page is empty. (Maybe that’s where they hide the keywords?)
I’d recommend the organizers of SES 07 take a look at the site for last week’s Mesh Conference, also in Toronto. It’s a simple site that’s a pleasure to use.